Raj Barman is an Indian playback singer, live performer, and Youtuber. He is known for his unplugged music albums.
Raj Barman was born Rudrajit Barman on Monday, 31 October 1994 (age 28 years; as of 2022) in Kolkata, West Bengal. His zodiac sign is Scorpio. He did his schooling at Julien Day School, Kolkata. One day, fifteen-year-old Raj was singing at his home when his mother recorded his voice and sent it to her guru Pintoo Bhattacharya, a celebrated Bengali singer of the ’70s and ’80s. After hearing Raj’s voice, Pintoo Bhattacharya roped him in for singing lessons.
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Weight (approx.): 80 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): Chest: 40 inches, Waist: 32 inches, Biceps: 12 inches
Family & Caste
Raj Barman belongs to a Bengali family.
Parents & Siblings
His father’s name is Mrinal Barman and his mother’s name is Sadhana Barman. Sadhana Barman attended the Govt. College of Art & Craft in Calcutta from 1990 to 1996.
As of December 2022, he was unmarried.
He follows Hinduism.
On 3 October 2009, Raj created a YouTube channel where he posted videos of himself singing covers of Bollywood songs.
I had started my YouTube channel around 2009-10 but it came to notice after I made a cover of Tere Sang Yaara. I had in mind to do music in a full-fledged way but YouTube gave me a boost which by luck came in the way. Gradually, TV and Fm were replaced by YouTube. It is completely about the number game. I have done a lot of covers, though I feel the market of original music is saturated because of this as everyone wants to become a singer on YouTube.”
In 2018, he made his debut as a playback singer with the Bengali film Kuasha Jakhon. He sang a song titled Mon. In 2018, he collaborated with the singer Deepshikha Raina on YouTube in which they sang a few songs of all genres. The video gained more than 115 million views. In 2021, Wynk Music titled Barman’s song ‘Saadgi To Hamari’ the song of the month.
In June 2022, Wynk Music gave him the title of artist of the month. He gardened appreciation for his singing following which he lent his voice to many Hindi songs including Abhi Mujh Mein Kahin (2019), Tu Milta Hai Mujhe (2022), Ijazzat Hai (2022), and Tu Baithe Mere Samne (2022). In 2022, Raj Barman collaborated with singers Amjad Nadeem Aamir and Sakshi Holkar on the song ‘Dil Dhak Dhak Karta Hai’ from the film Doctor G, starring Ayushmann Khurrana and Rakul Preet Singh.
Apart from this, Raj Barman performs live at several events including weddings, private parties, college fests, and corporate shows; he also performs live concerts in many places such as Hyderabad, Gujarat, Singapore, and Jakarta.
In 2018, he bought a Hyundai Elite i20 car.
- He also goes by the name Rudra.
- Raj is a pet lover and owns a dog named Guddu.
- Raj’s parents wanted him to become a cricketer. He used to play cricket passionately till the 10th standard; however, he later lost interest in the game.
- In 2018, he won the 17th Tele Cine Award for best playback singer for the song Shona Bondhu in the film Noor Jahaan (2018).
- In 2018, Raj performed at the Stagecraft Awards, which earned him immense popularity.
- In 2020, Raj was nominated at the West Bengal Film Journalists’ Association 2020 for the best playback singer (male) in the film Mon Jane na (2019).
- In his leisure time, Barman loves to do photography.
- In an interview, on being asked where he sees himself after 5 years, Raj replied,
Definitely a Playback Singer”
- As Raj has more than 475k followers on Instagram and 3.42M subscribers on YouTube.
- Apart from singing, Barman has a keen interest in designing, video making, and producing music.
- In an interview, while talking about his music journey, Raj said,
I didn’t find any struggle as such because I wanted to sing. So as long as I am doing that every struggle seems like a new goal which I have to accomplish.”
- In an interview, Barman talked about his long-term future goals and said he wanted to compose music and also become a filmmaker.
- According to Raj, he shares a remarkable resemblance with the Bollywood singer Arijit Singh when it comes to singing. In an interview, while talking about this, he said,
Initially, I used to get agitated due to the constant comparison of Arijit Singh and me. Though our voices are quite similar, I cannot help it. But now what matters is the quality I deliver to my audience.”