Archana Kochhar is an Indian fashion designer and coutourier. She is one of the most successful and best-known Indian Fashion Designers, known for her unique embroideries and modern-texturizing techniques.
Archana Kochhar was born on Friday, 29 August 1972 (age 50 years; as of 2022) in Mumbai. Archana Kochhar holds an MBA degree. She runs a luxury fashion brand titled Archana Kochhar whose flagship store is based in Juhu, Mumbai. Archana Kochhar When Archana was 16 years old, she organized her own clothes exhibition for the first time.
When I was 16, I did an exhibition for which I hired a 1,000 square feet hall. I was younger then and thought everything is possible. It worked. I sold pieces and made money out of it. That was my foundation stone. People accepted my designs. When we see the world appreciate our art, it encourages us.”
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Weight (approx.): 65 kg
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Black
Figure Measurements (approx.): 34-32-35
Parents & Siblings
There is not much information about her family.
Husband & Children
Archana was 20 years old when she got married to Rajiv Kochhar. They have a daughter, Simran Kochhar, who graduated from the University of California Berkeley in 2020. Simran Kochhar is a Business Development & Marketing Associate at Archana Kochhar (Archana’s brand).
Fashion store address
20, Swastik Plaza, Next To Kala Niketan, Vaikunthlal Mehta Rd, JVPD Scheme, Vile Parle West, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400049
Archana initiated her career as a wedding couturier and worked in a rented shop. During that time, she only had womenswear collections. Archana claimed fame by designing and displaying her collections of lehengas, saris, gowns, dresses and anarkalis both at national and international runways like Lakmé to New York Fashion Week respectively.
Archana Kochhar has dressed celebrities for the Cannes Festival and received an invitation from the biggest shopping centre in Paris, Galeries Lafayette, to showcase her couture collections alongside international brands like Armani, Versace, Prada, and Gucci. Various famous Indian celebrities including Shahrukh Khan, Kareena Kapoor, Jeetendra, Shaan, Falguni Pathak, and Prabhu Deva have promoted Archana Kochhar’s collection during fashion runways, award functions, and private events.
In 2021, Archana teamed up with a brand called Snugkins and designed India’s first-ever designer cloth diapers for babies.
The Warli Tribe Campaign
In 2015, Archana Kochhar worked for a collection named ‘Ahimsa Resam’ promoting the ‘Make in India’ campaign which was initiated by Narendra Modi. Ahimsa silk saree. and it was launched with an objective to generate employment in the weaving community for Women Empowerment at Indian Affairs’ 6th Annual India Leadership Conclave 2015 in Mumbai. The award-winning designer actively worked with the tribal women weavers from Jharkhand on the ‘Ahimsa silk’ fabric. The collection ‘The Warli Tribe’ was inspired by the primal stick-figure art of the Warli tribes in Maharashtra.
The Banjara Tribe Campaign
New York Fashion Week 2016 (aka NYFW) had Archana Kochhar showcase the ‘Banjara’ style collection inspired by a nomadic tribe, Banjara, from Southern India to raise awareness about the tribe’s culture.
The Global Disability Inclusion Campaign
During the Global Disability Inclusion Campaign, Archana Kochhar promoted the ‘Bring Beauty Back’ movement and had acid attack survivor, Reshma Qureshi, open the show.
The Global Disability Inclusion Campaign aimed at giving people with disabilities the same opportunities as anyone else on the fashion playground. Archana Kochhar’s ‘The Ahimsa Collection’ showcased at the New York Fashion Week featured specially-abled women on the ramp, in the spirit of this campaign.
Trans Women Inclusion
In 2019, Archana showcased her collection at Bombay Times Fashion Week to support Trans Women’s Rights and Inclusion.
- Best designer of the year at the NBC Newsmakers Achievers Awards in 2014
- ‘Anokhi Excellence in Design’ award in Toronto, Canada in 2015
- ‘Fashion Designer of the Decade’ at India Leadership Conclave in 2015
- World Icon Award at Dubai in 2017 for her extraordinary designing abilities and contributions to the world of fashion
- Mission Muskan Award (2018-19) for Archana Kochhar’s significant support given to the underprivileged people
- Archana Kochhar is an educationalist and provides mentorship guest lectures at 11 colleges in Mumbai.
- Archana is an avid reader and writer, who writes for the Bombay Times regularly.
- During an interview once, Archana said that around the year 2010, she was among the first few to start the ‘saree-gown’ trend.
- In an interview, Archana said that she likes the black and white combination more than the other colours.
- Archana is the goodwill ambassador for ‘Smile Foundation,’ an Indian social development organization, along with Virat Kohli and Vikas Khanna.
- Apart from designing, Aparna enjoys travelling and spending time with her pet dog, Joy.
- In an interview, while talking about the Silver Nite Fashion Show, Archana said that she views actress Malaika Arora as a fashion icon.
- Archana Kochhar often shares the backend formation of the threads, used by her brand, on social media.
“Malwa Melange”, a melody of authentic Indian handlooms and striking western elements.
This collection was presented at the Bombay Times Fashion Week, which comprised of Madhya Pradesh’s royal handloom, totally sustainable & eco-friendly!#bts #archanaKochhar #ak #fashiondesigner pic.twitter.com/bIUCO2pKz5
— Archana Kochhar (@Archana_Kochhar) June 8, 2022