Tharun Bhascker is an Indian director, actor, writer and television presenter who primarily works in the Telugu entertainment industry. In 2022, he played the role of Balaji in the Telegu film Sita Ramam.
Tharun Bhascker Dhaassyam was born on 5 November 1988 (age 34 years; as of 2022) in Madras, Tamil Nadu. His zodiac sign is Taurus. Tharun did his schooling at The Hyderabad Public School, Begumpet, Hyderabad. Then, Tharun pursued a bachelor of technology in Mechanical Engineering from Swami Vivekananda Institute of Technology, Secunderabad, Telangana. Inclined towards arts since childhood, Tharun participated in various inter-school art competitions. One day, Tharun led a group of students in an art competition and brought back a lot of accolades. In an interview, Tharun talked about this and said,
I requested a chance to speak at the assembly that day. A day when everyone realized that I could also speak well and grip an audience attentively.”
After completing his graduation, Tharun Bhascker joined New York Film Academy workshop.
Height (approx.): 5′ 10″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): Chest 42″, Waist 32″, Biceps 13″
Tharun Bhascker belongs to a Hindu family.
Parents & Siblings
Tharun Bhascker’s father, Late Vudhay Bhascker Dhaassyam, was an Executive Engineer at Water Resources Department. In 2015, his father passed away due to a heart attack. In an interview, Tharun talked about his father and said that he was always guided by him in pursuing a career in entertainment. He shared,
But I had the responsibility to focus on what he encouraged me to become. He would say that my choice was just right to reach a wide audience with whatever I wanted to portray or tell. My father visualised this much before I could even dream. His foresight and encouragement paved a path much easier to tread towards my passion. I still feel his guidance in my life.”
Tharun Bhascker’s mother, Geetha Bhascker Dhaassyam, is an actor and teacher. Tharun Bhascker is the only child of his parents.
Tharun Bhascker’s wife, Latha Naidu, is a Production and Costume Designer. She worked for various films as a production and costume designer like Pelli Choopulu (2016), Ee Nagaraniki Emaindi (2018) and U-Turn (2018).
Tharun Bhascker follows Hinduism.
Director ( Telegu Films)
In 2016, he directed a Telegu film Pelli Choopulu which starred Vijay Deverakonda. In an interview, Tharun talked about his film and said,
I was fascinated by the idea of travelling with a food truck, cooking and serving to people,” he says. In Pelli …, Vijay plays a guy who loves to cook. “He is all heart and a bit lazy. Ritu plays a girl who’s practical, independent, and a clear decision maker. I threw these two characters together and saw how the plot progressed. It’s like a date when they meet for a ‘Pelli Choopulu’ and running a food truck is like a live-in relationship, as they sort out finances and realise their dreams. It’s a modern day relationship within the traditional framework.”
Subsequently, Tharun Bhascker worked as a director for many Telegu films like Ee Nagaraniki Emaindi (2018), Meeku Maathrame Cheptha (2019), and Pitta Kathalu (2021).
In 2018, Tharun Bhascker made his acting debut with the Telegu film Mahanati in which he portrayed the role of Singeetam Srinivasa Rao. In an interview, he talked about his debut film Mahanati and said,
I looked like a walking gym ball in Mahanati. I wondered if the audience would want to look at me again — overweight and balding — when Vishwak and Vijay also wanted to cast me in their films.”
The same year, he worked in the Telegu film Sammohanam. Some of his other Telegu films are Falaknuma Das (2019), Meeku Maathrame Cheptha (2019), and Skylab (2021). In 2022, he worked in the Telegu film Sita Ramam in which he played the role of Balaji.
Director and Writer (Short Telegu Films)
In 2011, Tharun Bhascker worked as a writer and director for the Telegu short film Highderabad. In 2012, he directed and scripted the Telegu short film Anukokunda. Soon after the release of the short film Anukokunda, it was screened at Cannes Film Festival in 2013. Subsequently, Tharun Bhascker worked as a director for many short films such as Sainma (2015), Junun (2012), and MAA (2018).
Tharun Bhascker is the director of Vinoothna Geetha Media Pvt Ltd, a video production company. He is also a co-founder and director of a media organization named Sainma.
Reportedly, in 2020, Tharun Bhascker made an Instagram post regarding the Tamil film Kappela. On his Instagram post, he shared a poster of the Telegu film Kappela and penned a caption along with it that quoted,
There is no hero screaming loudly or having multiple slo-mo gravity-defying introduction scenes or action blocks with a background score. There are no long speeches on farmers, soldiers or India in the last 10 minutes. Still, these are also called movies.”
After he made this post, Tharun said that he and his team were harassed by fans on Instagram and other social media sites. In response to the harassment, Tharun made another Instagram post that read,
This is for all the trollers, the cowards who hide behind fake names, hollow identities. I feel sorry for you. The problem is that you people don’t have any self-esteem. That’s the reason you choose to hide in a group behind a fake ID, you need an idol, religion and caste or community to feel safe. It’s true, I get it, without that sense of security you are nothing, deep down you know it, that’s why you hurl abuses, through insults, the moment someone points a finger. You guys are weak. Earlier people used to get affected and it gave you a sense of power but now everyone knows that you are the dogs that only bark but can’t bite. At least dogs get rewarded for the loyalty. You get nothing. So keep wagging your tails, because nothing will stop me from telling the stories that I want to tell. I am only 31, it’s been only four years, there is a long way to go.”
However, since the harassment continued, Tharun decided to file a complaint with Cyber Crime, Telangana. In his complaint, he wrote that his Instagram post has been exaggerated.
- In 2017, he won National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Telegu for the film Pelli Choopulu (2016).
- In 2017, he won National Film Award for Best Screenplay for Dialogues for the Telegu film Pelli Choopulu (2016).
- In 2017, he was nominated for Filmfare Awards South as the Best Director for the Telegu film Pelli Choopulu.
- In 2017, he won South India International Movie Awards as Best Debut Director for the Telegu film Pelli Choopulu.
- In 2017, he won Santosham Awards as Best Director for the Telegu Film Pelli Choopulu
- In 2020, Tharun hosted ETV’s Telegu Talk show titled ‘Neeku Maathrame Cheptha.’
- In an interview, Tharun Bhascekar shared that he decided to pursue his career in filmmaking when he was a class 12 student. He made a montage video of his friends at the graduation ceremony, where his directed montage video won accolades from his friends. He said,
The appreciation was so intoxicating for me that decided to pursue in it seriously.”
- According to Tharun Bhascker, he approached film producers with his script, during his graduation period. In the third year of Tharun’s graduation, he started working on his debut film Peeli Choopulu (2016).
- In a media interview, Tharun Bhascekar talked about his directed film Pelli Choopulu (2016) and said that a few months before the release of his film, his father passed away. He quoted,
The onslaught of pain and insults were beyond my capacity of sustenance. I couldn’t help seeing my mother bear the brunt of all the financial hassle. Yet, I was confident of success someday or sooner.”
- In an interview with a media house, Tharun Bhascker mentioned that he got a remake offer for his Telegu film Pelli Choopulu; however, Tharun declined Salman’s offer in the end.
- Tharun Bhascekar’s uncle, Varun Bhaskar is a politician who has served as an MLA from the Warangal West constituency in Telangana.
- Tharun is a dog lover and has a pet dog named Coffee.
- Tharun Bhascker consumes alcohol and is often spotted drinking alcohol on various occasions.